- Chairman of "Eusko Ikaskuntza - Sociedad de Estudios Vascos"
- Academician of "EUSKALTZAINDIA"
- Honorary Chairman of "La Sociedad de Ciencias ARANZADI"
- Honorary Friend of "La Real Sociedad Bascongada de Amigos del País"
- Honorary Member of the "INSTITUTO LABAYRU"
- Honorary Doctor by the "Universidad del País Vasco"
- Honorary Doctor by the "Universidad de Teología de Vitoria"
- Honorary Doctor by the "Universidad de Deusto"
- Honorary Doctor by the "Universidad Complutense de Madrid"
Mr. José Miguel de Barandiarán Ayerbe was born in Ataun (Gipuzkoa), on the 31st of December 1889.
He studied humanities in the Tutorship of Baliarrain (Guipúzcoa) and philosophy and Theology at the Councillor Seminary of Vitoria.
In the summer of 1913, he attended the courses given by Prof. Wundt, author of the great work VOLKERPSYCHOLOGIE, at the University of Leipzig. The guidance of Professor Wundt had a clear reflect on his later anthropologic and ethnographic research.
In 1956, he started the publishing of the "Anuario de Eusko Folklore" (Handbook of Eusko Folklore) again from volume XV, under the patronage of the "Sociedad de Ciencias Aranzadi" and started his archaeological research again by creating new teams of young researchers. We should mention the excavations in Leizetxiki, Aitzbitarte, Kurtzia, Atxeta, Urtiaga, Axlor, Ekain, among others.